I learned long ago that the best way to my Italian husband’s heart is through his stomach.
I was gifted this Tiramisu recipe from a trusted neighbour for my engagement. It calls me to craft this italian dessert with love and intention at every step. The recipe card bears the marks from 15 years of love and dedication.
Yes, there are easier, faster recipes out there. But, as with love and life, it’s best to skip the shortcuts.
- 5 egg yolks
- 10 Tablespoons of sugar
- 1 Tub of Marscarpone Cheese
- 1 cup of Whipping Cream (35%)
- 2 packages of Savoiardi cookies (Similar to ladyfinger cookies)
- 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla extract
- 3 Cups of brewed cold espresso coffee (make in advance)
- Your choice of sweet liquors (Grand Marier, Kahlua, Vermouth)
- Cocoa nibs to garnish
- Stand or hand mixer
- Espresso maker. Ask an italian friend for a ‘cafetiera’ (pronounced Ca-fé-tia-ra), they usualy have at least 5.
- Deep dessert dish
- 3 mixing bowls
Step 1: Cheese Mixture
Combine 5 egg yolks with 5 tablespoons of sugar and one tub of Marscapone cheese and beat together with either a hand or stand mixer until fully combined. Set aside.
Step 2: Whipping Cream Mixture
Combine 1 cup of whipping cream with another 5 tablespoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
Step 3: The Fold
Gently fold-in both the cheese and whipping cream mixtures together with a spatula
Step 4: The Assembly
Your first layer starts with the lady finger cookies. Dip each cookie quickly into the espresso coffee and lay down in the dish. Follow with a layer of the now combined cream mixture. Repeat until the dish is filled and cream layer is at the top. Garnish with cocoa nibs. Refrigerate for 30 minutes and then enjoy!